Friday, October 29, 2004

ABT's Thoughts on Voting

Regular reader ABT weighs in:
In 2000, I was asked by one of my friends who I selected to be the next president of the United States. When I told him, I immediately got his response that I had wasted my vote because he had no chance of winning. I told him I thought he was incorrect because no politician owns my vote. I also said that instead of looking only at people who had a shot, I review everyone on the ballot. I consider this to be voting my conscience.

Think about it, shouldn't people deserve more out of themselves than simply considering to vote for mainstream candidates? I think so. Unfortunately, most others don't. I want to let you know that for president this year, there's a world of choices to choose from (ten (candidates) was the last updated number I heard). Each has a different platform which should at least be looked at regardless of whether they are probably going to win or lose. Don't let the any candidate catch you off guard with generic promises you hear every election. Go to their websites, see what their detailed outlines are for executing their promises, and see who has the most desirable and obtainable plans. If these platforms aren't reviewed, how is one suppose to know whether they are voting for the best person? The truth is one doesn't! This sad fact is holding back our democracy. Without reviewing third party candidates, it becomes impossible to make an informed choice. I believe making an informed choice is something that we are obligated to do. If we don't, then we are voting in ignorance. Democracy can not thrive in ignorance.

I hope everyone who reads this will go out this Tuesday and with an understanding of who they think is the best person for the positions being voted upon. I truly don't mind who you vote for as long as your decision is conscionable.
I will just add that I heard that 87% of college students were following this election "very closely"; I missed the percentage that claimed they would be voting, but the amount of interest is extremely encouraging for our democracy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is it any wonder why I'm the only one commenting on this blog. No. Why? If anyone read this they know I'm right.
ABT