Thursday, September 16, 2004

Johnny Ramone R.I.P.

This was the band that taught me that rock'n'roll didn't consist of sitting a mile away from a fog-machined stage for 40-minute guitar solos and 2 hour drum solos. I saw the Ramones when I was 15, and I was actually standing against the stage, right in front of Johnny as they played. I have to confess, I didn't quite get it right away, but I knew something was going on. Now Johnny has succumbed to cancer at 55.

I never cared much for Dee Dee and his typical New York heroin-chic. But Joey's death hit me hard, especially upon listening to his posthumous album (recorded while he was dying of cancer) Don't Worry About Me. Beautiful sense of melody, as always, but mixed with a heartwrenching bravery, serenity and wisdom. Extraordinarily moving version of "What A Wonderful World."

No comments: